View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The EPAMD/PMMD laws in the USA were designed around the original Segways. Some of those laws require that the device has handlebars.

Back then (in 2003) "motorized" things on the sidewalk were often scary and frowned upon.

That said, now (16 years later), people ride all sorts of electronic devices on the sidewalks (including e-bikes). Many of which are Ninebot-manufactured scooters.

Different cities have different policies, but there's a lot more tolerance now by default (of intolerance due to the actions of some scooter riders). It's probably best to consult a lawyer or your local city counsel or the police...whoever you think will give you the clarity you seek.

[I once called a lawyer to find out the situation in a city where I was staying, and he called the city administration and got me a written note which said Segways were legal; he didn't even charge me because he felt it was an educational exercise for him...cool guy.]
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote