View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #28
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
I should know better.

Lily's original post asks, "I understand that auto tires will insulate you from lightning, but what is safe if you get caught in a storm on your seg? Common sense says avoid if at all possible.. But some of these storms are coming up pretty fast and I'm not always that close to either home or shelter, so safety tips would be welcome.

This general statement/question is somehow conflated with a single example (coming home from church) that Lily provides a couple of posts later.

Actually, not conflated with anything. Lily never said anything at all about being in a field, you were the only one who mentioned this situation. She offered a couple examples of her not having shelter, one was the trip home from church, another time was the question about buildings and trees in the area, etc. In YOUR mind, you were responding to her question, but in FACT, you were only responding to YOUR interpretation of her question.

I provided the best information that I could find about what to do if you're caught in the open with a lightning storm approaching, with no reasonable chance for getting to a real shelter. Apparently, the thought of being caught in a bad situation is beyond comprehension, for some.

I also included quotes from experts. You continually refuse to accept that two of my three references were similar to yours, but berate and malign me just the same.

Getting caught in a bad situation is not beyond my comprehension, but clearly we have different definitions of being caught in a bad situation, both the bad situation part, and the caught part.

Lily herself indicated that she was gliding between buildings, and also that she considered herself not available to shelter. I simply offered that she could take shelter in a home that was not her own, if the situation was bad enough, and you suggested that we disregard her suggestion of being among other buildings, and she was alone in a field. This is not a situation of my not being able to understand her question, but rather to have the gall to have a different solution path than you came up with.

The only other "advice" is to dismiss pretty much everything suggested by lightning experts (because they are "bureaucrats" who will write/say anything whatsoever just to get published}, followed by sarcastic comments about cows on Segs, and not-so-humorous stories about coming in out of the rain.
I did not, and do not dismiss pretty much everything suggested by experts. I did and do pretty much dismiss the applicability of the suggested solution you came up with which was to have nice old ladies squatting in ditches.

You yourself posted that the experts have basically come to the conclusion that you most likely should consider going to shelter, like I said, instead of squatting in ditches, as you said. Are you now suggesting that you know better than the experts who said to go to shelter rather than stay in the open?

Such comments, devoid of useful content, take up space, but do not provide answers to Lily's questions, or anyone else's. I took Lily's request for information as serious. Others essentially laughed at her concerns, because they believe (based on a faulty understanding of statistics), that nobody should be concerned about lightning. This thinking is similar to blithely swimming among a group of hungry feeding sharks, because you "know" that shark attacks are statistically so rare. Poor critical thinking is resolved by nature, given enough time. One can only hope that it doesn't slop over to other people before such resolution. This is a most ridiculous suggestion that coming in out of the rain is the same as swimming with a group of hungry feeding sharks. Talk about faulty understanding of statistics! That is pretty special. I suggest that she should come in out of the rain, and you take that to mean she should swim with hungry feeding sharks. WOW.

I'm happy to help Lily.
You are happy to offer one and only one solution, and berate anyone else who offers a different slant on the solution.

Why have I suggested that squatting in ditches for this questioner is not appropriate? Because it is not appropriate.

Why have you never commented on the likelihood of your suggestion to squat in ditches will cause more discomfort and damage to this woman than going home on her segway, when you also posted that your experts have started to realize there is no safety in being exposed, and the appropriate thing to do is go to shelter?

I think it is beyond your comfort level to think of whom you are answering questions to.

Again, I challenge you to answer my simple question.

Is squatting in a ditch more likely to offer discomfort or danger to a mobility impaired older person than going home in that same storm?

Why are you so unable or unwilling to answer that simple question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 06-01-2015 at 07:12 PM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote