View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hi Lilly:

Just an update on one issue you had posted.My permits from the MO Department of Conservation says that I cannot use it during deer hunting season in certain areas. Now, no one in their right mind wants to be wandering in the woods during MO deer hunting season, but no one else, disabled or otherwise, is denied access during those times. They too require the dispay of a handicap tag.

I live in PA and I acutally DO use my segway to go deer hunting. I have a "Disabled Hunter" license which lets me hunt from an electric wheelchair. I have a SegSaddle on my I2 and I use it just like a wheelchair. It lets me go in to a local State Game Land region in about 2 miles and I just post up there. I carry one of those folding chairs on my shoulder and sit when I get to my spot. It actually works quite well as it is very quiet. I got one doe earlier this year. I just phoned for some help to get it out of the woods (so I didn't drag it) I have talked to the PA Game Commission about it and have had no issues at all. I am sure I am very unique in this use; I am very pleased with it and very happy to be able to hunt again, so I just thought I would share. I have never encountered any restrictions on using my Segway to date, best wishes !
Thanks for sharing. I had wondered how you handled the actual shooting. My permits specifically say no shooting from a Segway.

My permits are simply for access to MDC property --one for each site I might want to visit as a pedestrian for permitted purposes as any able-bodied person can do. I do not have a hunting license but probably could get a special use permit for that purpose. They do this for wheelchair users and even allow a truck or ATV to get you where you need to be. In fact, the 8 permits I finally got each came with a special tag for the vehicle I had made it plain I did not need... Their new EPAMD regulations and the permitting access are the result of 2 years of making myself totally obnoxious on the matter. <G> If all I had wanted was to hunt, it would undoubtedly have been a fairly simple matter...

They have also finally partially complied with state EPAMD law and any Segway user can now use the roads and parking lots on MDC property, with a concession to allow access to restrooms. If you are disabled you have to have a permit to go beyond that. If you are not disabled, don't even bother to apply for a permit!

The Interior Department has upheld their right to require a permit for ordinary access and to requiring a new doctor's prescription each year to get a new permit. They carefully ignored the fact that the MDC wanted more than just a simple statement of disability (which is how I read the law) asking for the duration of the disability and requiring a new permit each year even if this was a permanent disability.

It is going to be interesting when Mar 15 comes...and you can bet they know I will renew the battle if necessary. <G> Given the attitude so far, I'm not expecting anything else. Unfortunately the new laws do not differentiate between "wheelchair" use of a Segway (usually an i2) and offroad recreational use of an X2 by either the disabled or non-disabled. That could have simplified the issues that will have to be resolved.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote