View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Neelix, I know that the Segway does not look or work anything like a scooter. But I find myself describing mine as a "high tech, self balancing, electronic scooter" because people can relate to the word scooter as a device to scooting around town for short trips. I think that lay-people (people not knowledgable about the details of the Segway HT) find the term, scooter, much more friendly and embraceable than "human transporter".

So far, nobody I have told this to has mistaken the Segway high tech, self balancing, electronic scooter, for one of those low tech, dangerous razor scooters. I think it is only us that are getting hung up on the word scooter as describing a particular form of wheeled device rather than scooter refering to a transportion method that gets us around where we want to go that is not a car, bike, skates or skate board.

I certainly agree that there is nothing out there that compares to a Segway HT. And notice that I don't call it a scooter when talking to anyone here. I just use scooter the first time I describe it to a new person to help them grasp what I can use the Segway for and then I tell them about what a wonder the Segway really is.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote