View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolacoy View Post
The Tyler, Texas Zoo called back and said no. The reason is there are too many hills. However, they do offer hand operated wheel chairs for rent. It seems to me that any place a wheelchair can go a Segway can go.

Question, How will the new ADA laws affect this ruling?

Good grief! Especially a hand wheel chair where there are too many hills!!!

My suggestion-- If they allow hand operated wheelchairs, offer to show them how Segways handle hills! That was one of the things our zoo director wanted me to demonstrate when the local Park Board was deciding whether or not Segs would be allowed to use the city trails and facilities. They did have another way around for wheelchairs, but he wanted to see if I could handle the hill. I sailed to the top, made a graceful turn and came down. Halfway down, I stopped, backed up a ways and came the rest of the way. Yup, I was showing off. <G> They also have a section of trail with several switchbacks. These had to have a good bit of space to allow wheelchairs to make a 3 point turn. I just sailed around those corners with immense gracefulness. Showing off again. <G>

New ADA rules? who knows! The DOJ obviously doesn't (as evidenced in the phone call I referenced in an earlier post.) However these new rules have to be safety based. Having been in a runaway hand wheelchair on a steep hill, I choose a Segway! I would say that just saying that there are too many hills would not be an aceptable reason since a Segway can handle the uphill at a a consistent speed, and, on the down hill, will never gain speed, will always be under control and will actually slow down a bit. If they don't believe you, they can email me! <G> I would say that the new rules put the burden of proof on them, not you...

If I were you, I'd get right back into their face with a request to do a demo for them at a time of their choosing...

Hmmmm... I wonder if one could make a case for discrimination if they refuse to allow you to demonstrate its capabilities under those conditions??? They are supposed to be able to demonstrate their reasons... although it is not at all clear when, where, how, by whom or to whom that demonstration is to be done...

Keep us posted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote