View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #54
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
The solowheel seems to me to be more of a sporty hobby, like rollerblading or some such. The Segway is much more "pedestrian" (heh) in its design. The solowheel never tried to be a Segway. It's an electric unicycle, that's all. If you ride a solowheel, you're still riding a unicycle. Panic stops work the same way they do on a unicycle-- You put your feet on the ground. Working in crowds is more difficult, since you need to keep moving to remain stable, but you don't need to be going very fast. The expert at my work can do turns roughly 5 feet in diameter, which is difficult.

Basically, if you don't want to learn a new physical skill, and want a safety-conscious method of transport, the Solowheel is not for you. That doesn't mean it is useless.
I agree with Gihgehls on this. It required much more effort to learn (for me anyways) but was rewarding in its own unique way. But it also carried more risk in my opinion - but also had other benefits in terms of portability and lower costs.

It's such a shame to me that the Ryno, which once talked about travelling at speeds of up to 25MPH, will launch limited to 10MPH (launching next year - they're not out yet). That's the same speed as an Airwheel and slower than a Segway. With less range than a Segway. Shame.