View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Hello monkeywrench,
I've posted several times in the other forum and I apologize for not checking this particular forum more frequently. In 1998 I suffered a C-4 spinal cord injury which left me paralyzed from the neck down. I now stand, but still use a wheelchair as my primary means of mobility. I started using my HT in March and it's obviously changed my life. Everything that you say about the benefits of standing are completely accurate. Also everything that you say about the IBOT and the Iglide are accurate as well. Before the HT there was little or no incentive for those with spinal cord injuries who could stand, to stand. There was absolutely no means of mobility that one could use that didn't require one to sit. I remember when I was in the hospital one of the other spinal cord patients, whose name was George, could stand but it required so much effort and energy that he would rarely make the attempt. When I spoke with him one day about it to try and encourage him his response was, "why, I mean I can't walk, why on earth would I expend all that energy just to stand." I don't know what happened to George, but if the HT had been available then I'm sure things would have turned out much better for him. If you can stand I think that you can use the HT, if you can't stand then this is a reason to explore every possible avenue and therapy which might allow you to stand in the future. There are a lot of new things out there, particularly those which are activity based which are accomplishing a great deal in terms of getting people up out of their wheelchairs and actually standing. Walking of course it is a completely different subject, but I know you are aware of this.

Good luck, please feel free to e-mail me anytime.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote