View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
CZroe
CZroe is on a distinguished road

Ouch:
https://imgur.com/a/E0ca0kG

600-something miles on the clock and the wheel suddenly (and painfully) goes about 80° out of alignment with the handlebars. I occasionally need to tighten the two screws in front but they were not loose when I last checked. There are two more under a warranty seal n the back which I can’t check without breaking said seal. Considering that I have found the ones in front loose on at least two occasions I have been wary of the ones they won’t allow me to check/tighten. Were they were responsible for this mechanical failure?

I loosened the two screws, forced the tire back into place, and tightened the screws but I don’t trust that there isn’t significant damage inside that I can’t evaluate without breaking that warranty seal. Perhaps I should just put it back like it was and claim the warranty? I’m really annoyed that a silly warranty sticker is causing such uncertainty but I’ve heard horror stories about how much it costs to ship for warranty service and Segway stores or authorized service centers don’t seem to exist in the Atlanta area anymore though there used to be one right by me in Peachtree City.

I did have to clean and regrease the battery contacts one more time in the 6 months I’ve owned it and one of the two larger battery connections looks misshapen… probably from arcing when the battery was loose before. I believe they should have had battery contact grease and thread locker on the battery rail screws from the start… or at least include the tool with instructions to check that rail under the battery occasionally.

My front tire tread has been completely gone for 5 of the 6 months since buying it new. It was almost gone and already needed replacement at only three weeks… I even posted about it here. I can’t imagine having to buy and replace the front tire every three weeks and others tell me they continued using theirs once bald so I continued as well. Even now the rear tire looks almost new… and I still stomp on the foot brake/fended with every stop. If anything, I’d expect that one to be the one that wears prematurely but that’s the opposite of what I see happening.

Though I use the folding feature constantly I ordered a new front wheel, tire, motor, etc assembly that doesn’t fold. The $40 price was barely more than a tire alone and I figure it will give me a window into what things look like under that warranty seal without actually breaking the seal. If the tire wrenched sideways I expect it did some damage inside that I can’t see or evaluate without breaking that stupid little seal.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote