View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Hardenburgward1@aol.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default And the answer is.......

It depends.
I was hoping for a nice easy one word type answer but I guess life isnÂ’t that simple. All answers below are for an X2 with knobby tires on fine sand on a New Jersey Atlantic beach.

On level undisturbed sand:
Example flat level sand that has not been disturbed for a few months.
Works well. Enjoy the glide with no conscious thought about problems.

On uneven undisturbed sand:
Example=someone drove a pick up truck over the sand a week ago but wind action has made the sand surface almost level.
Works OK. As wheels hit remains of old tire tracks below sand surface each wheel may spin a fraction of a turn so you need to be a bit careful and pay attention so you donÂ’tloose Your balance but X2 glided this without great difficulty.

On recently disturbed sand:
Example-sand “churned” by people walking on it:
You need to pay careful attention but if you proceed slowly and with caution I was able to glide disturbed sand.

Downhill on recently disturbed sand:
Example=going down the beach side of the “dune hill” after people have walked on this path: (churned it)
Doable but you must pay careful attention. Slow going but much better than walking if you have bad knees.

Unhil on recently disturbed sand:
Example-going up the beach side of the ‘dune hill” after people have walked on this path. (Churned it)
Problem. X2 tires wanted to spin in the soft sand without taking me up the ‘hill’. I had to dismount and walk up the “hill” with the X2 powering itself up the ‘hill’ alongside me.
However, it may not a problem in the Summer... The beach where I live (Midway Beach near Seaside Heights N.J.) puts rug like ‘Mobi-Mats’ on the beach side of the “dune hill” during the Summer months. These make itt easier for people to walk down/up the ‘hill’. I would br riding on an outdoor carpet rather than recently disturbed sand. I estimate (guesstimate?) that would solve the problem of getting back up the hill without getting off. Will find out for sure in June.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote