View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I agree with you, GBrandwood. In no way am I arguing that riots are a good thing. Nor am I arguing that the UK riots, specifically, are justified or that the people involved in them were anything but thugs. My point was that desperate people will do desperate things, and some times that results in a riot.

Quote:
I believe we can master our own destiny, at least most of it, and you continue to say that we cannot. KSagal
Again, you restate my position...incorrectly. I did not say one could not control most of our "destiny". I agree with that, but there is a part that even you agree is outside of control, but which you choose to minimize because it is not consistent with your "I am the master of all I survey" perspective. This perspective survives because you have not been a victim of events outside your control.

I can only say that we differ in thinking. I know for a fact that bad things can happen to good people, no matter how smart they think they are or how good they think their planning is. Your good fortune and the associated, "I'm pretty darned good at controlling my environment, and lesser folks deserve what they get" may continue though your life. However, if "destiny" serves you a curve ball, you can only hope that there are compassionate people around to help scrape you off the ground, as there certainly won't be any people with the "he failed to master his own destiny" helping when you need it most.