View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Gimp on a Segway

I'm new here and wanted to say "Howdy" to all the other gliders here.

I purchased my i2 Commuter last May and have close to 1,100 miles in the last 7 months.

I have been a gimp for over 7 years and have been a virtual prisoner in my home during that time. A 2-block walk (my maximum distance) usually ran about 20 minutes. I finally realized that I truly needed mobility assistance and started comparing models.

The HoveroundĀ® is big, heavy, slow, top-heavy and has horrible range and anything with more than a 1" gap makes for a dangerous go. Don't even think about carrying it in a Corolla!

The RascalĀ® 3-wheel is top-heavy and during a turn during a test drive, it tipped over, with me on it. No way!

I finally thought about the Segway, and a local dealer had demo rides for a reasonable price. The hook was baited, and I jumped at it.

First impression...this is flippin' easy! The guy who rode out with me for the demo had warned that getting on the Segway, that the most important thing was to not try to balance. Since I absolutely cannot balance without crutches, it took me about 5 seconds to adapt. After an hour and a half over varying terrain (we're talking grass, gravel...the works), I was convinced and told him to charge one up overnight and I'd be by with cash the following day. (He also felt that I was comfortable enough to take it out of "turtle" mode after the first hour. That clinched the deal!)

Today, I talk to people at eye level and rarely drive my car anymore (much to my physician's relief). After living as a virtual hermit for 7 years, my life has truly changed. My local store always greets me with a smile, and even if I forget my Gimpo Sticker, they have never hassled me about using it in their store. I make a point to go at a very, very slow pace in the store, and generally try to be courteous.

The oddest thing about a Segway is that I stand still, and the Segway shakes. It almost makes me feel...well, normal again.

BoscoBob
Nemo hic adest illius nominis.
BoscoBob is offline   Reply With Quote