View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

A couple reflections.

On the OP question, I believe that as moderator of that group, you get to set the tone for that group, and set the rules of behaviour. You set them, and enforced them.

If a person is offended by you guys breaking one of the commandments, that is his right. If he chooses to be offended and still stay, that is his right as well, as long as he does not choose to break the rules of the group, which apparently do not include the commandments.

I do not think he was right or wrong, but simply exercising his rights of free association. I believe that the same document that guarentees all United States citizens the right to free speach also guarentees them the right to associate with whom they please.

If you tried to convince him that he should tolerate what he did not like, or he tried to censure your expression, while not being a moderator, then who is right or wrong would be a more valid topic.

With regard to whether a person feels it is more offensive to hear the f bomb, or the lords name in vane, or being called a coward, or any number of other things, that evaluation has got to be done by the person themselves, and they need to decide if it is worth the abuse.

I know of men here who were sexually harrassed by another man and the moderators took no action. I fully believe that the exact same words used against a woman would have been expunged. I know of people who have been verbally assaulted here, and no one in authority chose to act, and other times where a far lesser insult (in my opinion, of course) were acted upon right away, with a heavy hand!

The other thing to consider is that most of the moderators here are volunteers (to the best of my knowledge) and some things just get missed, and some people engender more of a protective reacton from the moderators than others... Remember, the moderators are just people as well, and things can rub them the wrong way as much as anyone else, so regardless of how much they want to be objective, that simply does not exist.

To use the analogy that this is like being in someone's house is valid. In my home, some things are tollerated, and some are not. On some days, I can be pushed further than on other days. My family and in-laws have different rules (actually same rules differently enforced, due to the fact that afterwards I have to live with my wife) and friends are on a different set as well... I suspect that if one of my wife's ex boyfirends came by, we would see a whole new set of behaviour guidelines, and I cannot imagine the rules my daughter's first date will be forced to tollerate...

All I am saying is that while consistancy is nice, it is hard, and this is not a public place, but a private one.

I find ad hominem attacks more offensive than vulgar adjectives. Each of us is different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote