View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

This is an interesting thread... And I have to be transparent to say that I have a personal sensibility and offense-o-meter that is quite liberal (in addition to other liberal sensibilities). Regardless of my sensibilities, Pam, John and I often receive private messages / reported posts from folks who are offended at things being said on the forums, many times (more often than not), no "offensive" words are used, and quite frankly - again - our interpretation of the offending post was obviously different than the one who took offense.

So what we do is to pool our collective brains, look at the big picture and take action.

I think the overarching theme in all this is for all of us to continue to behave like adults and use acceptable language. My rule of thumb is this (and it has been worded many other ways in many contexts): if you wouldn't say it in the company of people you didn't know well, don't say it here. The "it" can be words, phrases, etc.

Its all about civility.

There was a string of months mid to late last year when Pam, John and I were busier than ever putting out fires, and preventing a lot more than we had to put out, but hopefully those days are over...

-Sal