View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
Freedom of speech is all well and good, however, since you are on a private system, you must abide by the rules of those that are in control. Freedom of speech is a much overused phrase, just like another one I was chastised for using just recently. Having freedom of speech does NOT entitle one to say whatever they want, where ever they want to. Just as one example, try yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre, and see what happens to you. Since this is a private forum, you are obligated to follow the rules that are set out. If you don't wish to follow the rules, then take your language or whatever elsewhere, as you won't be welcomed here.

Years ago when I helped run a Bulletin Board System, we had people trying to claim they had a "right" to be on the system. They quickly found out that they had NO rights at all, and the same would apply here. You are a guest here.

If you were to come into my house and use language that I deemed inappropriate, you would rapidly find yourself on the other side of the door, and most likely without much care being taken to ensure that you feel welcome to return.

Jim
I apologize I was speaking more in general. As Eric said, however, it is not you or anyone elses (except the mods/owners) say as to what can be said and can't. I am not aware of any rule that prohibits the word god. Now let's use a common example.

This is one we can all agree with. I am going to use the example of homosexuals. Many homosexuals feel that they can not express their sexuality for fear of offending others and getting violently attacked. This is what causes some to stay in "the closet" and they cannot be fee to be themselves.

Eric, I have to say, I commend you for coming out and being so open about your sexuality. I appreciate that you are brave enough to clearly say that you are gay and proud! My mom has to keep it secret. If people where she lives found out she would be lynched (and I'm being serious the previous town her house got burned down we think it was a hate crime but the police never caught who did it).

But my example, getting back on topic, is how homosexuals should not need to hide their true colors just because some ignorant bafoon may get offended. Now if they are going to the Bush residence and expect a warm welcome it is difference. They should be able to be openly passionate with each other in public though and those ignorant biggots who find it offending should keep their mouths shut and hands in their pocket!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote