View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Thanks for the info!
I was under the impression it was around 20-30 pounds.

It's always fun seeing other people on some of the rarest scooters around.

You said San Fran banned segways?
Where is this banishment in effect?
Any specific regulations?
Here's news about the original ban:

http://www.geek.com/news/segway-bann...ewalks-548094/

Then in 2003, the state legislature passed a bill to make them legal, classifying them as pedestirans, rather than vehicles. This was updated in 2008. But local governments were given the option of enacting their own regulations.

San Francisco and a few other CA cities (like Mountain View) took advantage of that to impose rules. I'm not sure of the exact scope of the current SF restrictions. I do know that they're not so tight that tour groups do flourish.

The ADA ends up overruling this for use as a mobility aid.

I met Willie Brown when on my Segway in SF. He had been mayor at the time of the ban, and indicated his frustration with their going down this path.

I've also encountered some of the opposition behind the ban. They view themselves as "disability rights activitsts" and "pedestrian rights activist". A seriously misguided group -- and the ones I've encountered were actually quite spiteful.

But I haven't encountered that sort of reaction in years now. Somehow, the weight of evidence against their position seems to be winning out...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.