View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
C'Mon Jonathan! Give the guy a little credit! He was useless as a businessman himself, I mean it's hard to do business if you're english is still at a 5th grade level. But although he wasn't worth $1/hour as a businessman he realized there was an opportunity. Run the country than you can control where the money of the people goes and you can support other businesses who will in turn help you live a comfortable life as long as you shall live. That was cruel, evil, a number of words, but it was genius! Of course than again he wouldn't have been able to do it without Dick (the only person he refuses to go hunting with)!
Sorry, Jeremy, but as much as I dislike GWB, I do acknowledge his graduation from Harvard (and Yale). During his campaigns, much was made of GWB being an Ivy League "legacy," and his family "fortune" buying GWB's way through these two schools.

But, in terms of "wealth", the Bushes have never even cracked the top 10. To have purchased the education GWB received, the family would have had to have donated libraries and halls to those schools. They didn't. So while GWB may have been given some leeway towards admission into those schools via legacy (as is the wont of any school - to prefer children of alumni over cold applicants), in order to stay in school, it would have to be done on his own merit.

Now, whether others were paid to test for, and submit work/papers in the name of, GWB is another question... but until someone steps forward to claim that distinction, all it is is a question.

Thought I dislike GWB, I really had nothing against his father when he was the President... actually, strangely, I did have one thing against George, Sr.... he didn't "finish up" in Iraq. If Daddy had pushed forward and taken out Saddam, then... but the reason Daddy didn't (and Clinton didn't) was because our own intelligence services warned Daddy (and Clinton) that, should Saddam be deposed/killed, the entire nation would very soon be swept up in a three way Civil War that could escalate throughout the entire region, bringing other Arab nations into it, including those on the verge of obtaining nuclear and/or biochemical weaponry. Daddy believed the intelligence experts, and after achieving the stated goal, declared "Dessert Storm" a success, and left. Clinton believed the intelligence experts and, though slightly elevating the troop presence in the region, left the oversight of Saddam's Iraq to the United Nations.

Junior, though... let's just say Jr. and "intelligence" (of any form) parted company awhile back.