View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The example I gave was not one where the patient ASKED for an approved mobility aide just so he could use it to get a Segway. The doctor prescribed the device of his/her own volition. If a patient feels their quality of life would be better by using a Segway instead of a wheelchair, why do you feel it is fraudulent to take the matter into their own hands.

What if the patient paid for the Segway with his/her own funds and the wheelchair languished in storage for some time. Then it was sold at some later date. Is that fraud? It's pretty much the same thing. The question still remains, what has the length of time to do with it? And who determines that length of time?

To set any minds at ease, I have a Segway that is bought and paid for with private money. No doctor has prescribed a mobility aide for me based on my disability (except for the crutches, cane and knee braces for injuries I mentioned previously). I am not looking for a way to get a Segway for myself, I already have one.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to figure out if there are any legal ways for a disabled person to obtain the mobility device of their choosing. I am NOT trying to justify any illegal or immoral act. Leave the damn insults and accusations out of the discussion, please.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote