View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #25
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
The fact that unions can donate to political campaigns is corrosive. The politicization of the process further undermines the integrity of the negotiation.
I agree. Money corrupts. Big money corrupts quickly. I support a constitutional amendment that states that only individuals may contribute to political campaigns, and that all contributions are public information, that corporations (and unions) are not "people", nor is money "free speech". This may be the singular most important issue for the long-term political health of the USA. SuperPACs must be stopped. The poo will hit the fan one of these days when we learn that China, or Iran, is contributing heavily to someone's Super PAC.

Quote:
How many private sectors have pensions, at all?
Not so many, but public sector is going the same direction. In my local area of subspace, defined benefit plans are extinct at the state level, replaced by defined contribution...just like the private sector. And, BTW, this change was made without a lot of teeth gnashing by negotiating in good faith with the public employee unions in the state.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote