View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Chris

Thought I'd reply here.

That's a shed load of questions!

The easy stuff:

The off-road Segways (the "x" series) will get between 10-12 miles from a charge. The smaller Segways, (the "i" series) will get up to 24 miles. Check out Segway.com's manuals etc. for the basic machine specs. If you are serious about the business, you need to learn a lot about the machines and probably buy at least one in order to properly familiarise yourself with the unit. Buy from a proper dealer and receive proper training.

The answers to your other questions are more difficult because each answer I would give starts with "depends". Depends on the type of experience you want to provide (rally versus ride versus guided tour). Depends on the length of each experience, the terrain you have (or venue if indoor is an option), your contacts in each of the organisastions you mention, your determination, planning and drive.

I found the hardest part for me was getting permission to operate and agreeing the terms and licence. It was difficult despite my knowledge of the machines from years of use and good advice from some of the already established tour operators. But some operators found this part easier or have informal agreements or already had access to some land.

There was someone advertising on here recently about a Segway Toolkit of sorts where you can purchase a DIY guide for setting up.

There is lots to consider. Are you doing it to become rich? How quickly do you want to be rich? Can you stand the outdoors in the rain and cold? Do you have the capital? Are you working alone etc... You need to build your business plan carefully.

Good luck!