View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #31
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Lots of ranting, lots of lies, lots of saying what I believe when simply reading what I said would tell the truth, and even dis-owning what he said about swimming with sharks.

And still never answering my continual question, if he believes that Lily is more likely to be injured or discomforted by squatting in a ditch or being struck by lightening on any particular day, in any particular thunderstorm, or on any particular segway outing.

The fact that ranting with mis-information is the choice, instead of simply answering the simple question says all that needs to be said.
Frankly, I am amazed at having to argue with an adult about taking actions to help prevent death or injury due to lightning. In addition, I am aware that everything I write below is clearly available from my multiple prior posts. I hold no illusions that re-writing them again (in different form, with smaller words), will have any effect whatsoever on fixed beliefs.

However:

1. I believe any person standing (or riding a Seg) in an open place in a lightning storm is much more likely to be struck by lightning. Standing in an open place during a lightning storm is precisely like swimming with hungry sharks, with respect to useless statistics which do not take a specific high risk situation into account. Both circumstances are high risk, and are not represented by a general statistical mean. Thankfully, most humans are more capable of understanding the realities of the situation, than were the electrocuted cows. What would you do, KSAGAL? Caught in the open in a lightning storm, do you go with cow-thinking, ignore the storm, and glide on, fearlessly?

2. I believe any person who takes the "lighting safety position" in a ditch during a lightning storm will be less likely to be struck by lightning than standing upright in the open, and if struck, will be more likely to survive with lesser injuries. There is wide agreement from severe storm scientists about this. What would you do, KSAGAL?

3. I believe squatting in a ditch in a lightning storm is not comfortable for anyone. Similarly, I believe the interrupting one's afternoon swim because of hungry sharks is "inconvenient". However, the reality of the danger of the specific situation may dictate having to endure some discomfort and inconvenience.

4. I believe that discomfort (or inconvenience) is hugely trumped by strong threat of death or injury. Disagree, KSAGAL?

5. Consequently, if caught in the open in a lightning storm, I strongly believe in the relative safety of the "lightning safety position" to help protect me from death or serious injury. In that situation, temporary discomfort doesn't even play a small part in my decision. What would you do, KSAGAL?

Others may feel differently than I do. Feel free to stand on a hill or ride your Seg though a storm, while lightning is crackling overhead. The ageless ignominy of a future Darwin Award awaits.

Last edited by Civicsman; 06-02-2015 at 04:53 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote