View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #40
Dragan
Dragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant future

5 yr Member

Don't misunderstand what I was getting at spacebatman...first of all, I am decidedly a Techie...most Segway dealers actually do fall into that category. Nor am I a fool; I fully understand and appreciate the benefits we have gained from space exploration, and will continue to gain from it. That said, the computer, LCD's, pacemakers, MP3, etc. of the world don't owe their entire existance to the space program, nor does the Segway, I assure you.

My point was more based in the legitimacy of the proposal, and what significant steps forward would be potentially gained by entering into obstensibly a contest to put a quantity of rovers on the moon. Would there be some technical benefits, perhaps breakthroughs? Maybe...I don't know, and I stated that. I deferred to the experts, who do know far better than you or I and they are not intent of pursueing the idea with the vigor they once did. Some of that is certainly political will or lack thereof. Some of it truly comes down to bang for the buck.

Karl's absolutely right, there is a point of balance, and it's difficult to maintain it. What I was suggesting is that tipping the balance point even by the paltry sum of 400 million is still tipping the balance. Is it worth it? At this point in history, my sense it that it probably isn't high enough on the list of global priorities to invest that kind of resource. But that's just my opinion, and opinions are like belly-buttons; everyone has one.

The bottom line always comes down to a finite resource; money. The trick we all face is how best to utilize that money to better our lives, our environment and our future. Continuing with the exploration of space is something that I believe in just as strongly as you do, believe it or not. I think where we don't share the same opinion is where to spend some of that finite resource, and how.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote