View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
Some maybe, it is a good article, yet some are too set in their ways to see it!

Jeremy Ryan
So very true, but I suspect I may mean that a little bit differently than you!

Quote:
“When it comes to building these and other civil capabilities abroad, the United States is alarmingly weak,” Gompert said. “To fix this problem, the federal government will need a dramatic increase in civilian capabilities, new organizational arrangements, and more flexible personnel policies.”
Yeah, I've noticed the tremendous outpouring of support for larger governmental organizations, and the additional funding (taxes) that would be needed.

Quote:
The authors estimate that the United States would need to add thousands of deployable civilian professionals and billions more in targeted foreign aid to meet counterinsurgency needs. However, such requirements could be halved if U.S. allies and international organizations matched U.S. efforts.
Okay, let's see if we can control the mobs of civilian professionals who are currently lining up to deploy to Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan. What! -- they aren't mobbing the State Department to spend a year-and-a-half or so at a time in these lovely Middle-East havens??

Oh, here's some more billions of dollars needed, too. No problem!! Everyone's gonna support that...

Yep, all those allies and international organizations that have lined up ever since WWII to suck at the US teat and then avoid any potential "unpleasantness" by backing away from any support. They're gonna match the US effort. You betcha!!!

Quote:
The report also finds that U.S. forces are unable to train enough local forces of sufficient quality quickly enough to counter fast-moving Islamist insurgencies. The U.S. Army, Marine Corps and Special Operations Forces must improve their ability to organize, train, equip and advise local military forces. Building police forces should be done by professional police trainers, not military troops.
I don't think so! The U.S. Army, Marine Corps and Special Operations Forces must improve their ability to organize, train, equip, and advise their own forces. And they need the funding to be able to do so.

And these professional police trainers, just where do we acquire them? From those same hordes beating down the doors at State? Or perhaps we should start conscripting them?? And they have the benefit of watching the news to see just where the insurgents are targeting their efforts. Hmmm, another Police Station blown up... let me run right down and volunteer! Yeah, I'm holding my breath for that... NOT!

In case you haven't noticed, the very people with the attitudes needed are the ones that are ALREADY serving this country in our Armed Forces. Could they use some additional help? Of course they could.

Do I see the liberals racing to provide it??? Not a chance in Hell!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
... it is a good article, yet some are too set in their ways to see it!
I agree!!

Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote