View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
Yes, each individual determines the acceptable qualities based on need and use. Outdoor mobility is what it does 95% of the time for me, and the enhanced traction and enjoyment was money very well spent. The Segway's original purpose and uniqueness was its dual role in pedestrian and vehicle applications. No other machine I know of so deftly provides this. I recall that you were one of the first folks actively experimenting with alternative tires, and I was pleased to see this new "just works" option available when I came back to these boards and began investigating.

It may be that with careful operation in Costco and the like I will be fine regarding marking the floor, but delicate places like art museums may have to be avoided to preserve the integrity and reputation for its continued acceptance.

Any sense of how much these tires decrease range at 15psi from the resistance? What do you set yours at for general use?

Jim
I use a Chen Shin 3 inch tire, 3 inches wide, by 3 inches tall, on the 14 inch rim. Because of this taller sidewall (by about an inch), the tire has a larger diameter, and therefore all the factors are changed, and my mileage indicators on the info key are no longer accurate. (Because my speed is about 10% faster than displayed, I am guessing that about 1.1 miles is traveled for every mile displayed.)

I have not done much long distance gliding, in that most times I cruise and stop, cruise and stop, and do lots of errands and buzzing around town. I do not go straight on any for any great lengths much at all.

Because of all this, I do not know at all how my tires have affected my range, other than to say that it is not enough to significantly notice at all.

I have not checked the air pressure in the tires for a year now. I frequently look down at them and think I should. I am also pretty sure they are softer than I usually set them. I typically inflate them to about 18 pounds, and while there is some rolling resistance change, there is also the longer circumference, and therefore our experiences are not going to be exact. Also, I would guess my air pressure is not at about 12 pounds based on the ride, perhaps they are even softer. Since I do not need the miles, I have not bothered to inflate them higher, as the softer tires do give a softer ride.

I would say that with 18 pounds of pressure, and my larger tires (which would likely consume more energy getting to speed, but may cruise at a steady speed with no significant increase in energy consumption yet move farther for a given wheel RPM, I would be very surprised if my range is decreased by even the 10% difference in wheel size. I might even guess that the range is nominally increased, on a long, steady glide, but it is only a guess.

On high tension starts and stops, with lots of climbing, more similar to what an X model is designed for rather than an i model, of course, my larger tires would most likely reduce range.

In simple automotive terms, my city mileage is likely worse with my big knobby tires, but my highway mileage is likely about the same, or perhaps even slightly better.

BUT, my overall ride and enjoyment is greatly enhanced. My security in the rain or mud, or even sand is much better. Wet grass is stickier with my segway tires than my hiking boots. So, all in all, any costs are more than accounted for, and worth it with the better tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote