View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Brent,

I would offer that each and every case is different, and that what you consider a 30% loss of use in one leg, another may call something else.
I have a 30% loss of use in one knee, as an example, due to an old army injury. However, most days, you cannot tell. My wife says my limp is absorbed by my swagger. (Some days, my swagger is more pronounced )

My loss manifests itself with 'bad' days, where I cannot climb stairs, or days when I am walking along fine, and my knee just lets go, and I fall to the ground. (Has happened on the stairs a couple times, not fun...)

So, while on this forum, or on paper, our bad leg may be parallel somewhat, in real life, they manifest themselves very differently.

Also, there is risk involved in anything you do. I would say there is more risk to falling on a segway than not, but many with mobility issues will fall more due to the fatigue from walking distances, and they do not get as tired while on segway, so they are less likely to fall. It is all very subjective.

I would suggest you seek out a segway tour, or a segway dealer, and explain to them your situation, and try out a segway for a while before you decide. And you will still have to decide for yourself, but you will have a better understanding of the situation.

You may find that the segway is a great tool to use, and to regain some of your lost mobility, and that it is perfect. You may find otherwise.

Either way, I think you will find the adventure of finding an answer to be lots of fun.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote