View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Segbyte
Segbyte is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Most of these wheeled vehicles that get less and less mileage in a rapid manner tend to be just low tire pressures. Low tire pressure requires a lot of energy to roll on. That will be the most likely thing to cause a battery to go dead early. You can't eyeball the tire pressure. You need a tire gauge and a pump.

I don't think a lithium battery in storage for two years is an issue as long as the battery was near 50% charged when you got it. The batteries only get damaged if they discharge to zero voltage while in storage. Normally that is because the device they are attached to will constantly drain it. Like the old Segway's (i2?) do.

Two years of expected use is because there is a limited amount of charge/discharge cycles available for any battery chemistry. In two years, the average user would have put enough cycles on the lithium battery that it should be replaced.
Did post a reply to this last night, but it hasn't appeared. Perhaps awaiting moderation. But it seems the restrictions on my posts have been lifted, so here it is:

I confess I haven't paid much attention to the tires, and actually thought they might even be solid tires on the E+. I haven't spotted valves for inflation, but I'll look in the morning, thanks.

With regards to 2 years use of the battery, yes, I don't actually know what's going on with the E+ as far as it's product lifecycles concerned. I half thought I might be buying a discontinued product, and that's why it was relatively cheap. As Ninebot seem to be focusing more on smaller models and scooters.

My rationale was, if I did get the hang of using the E+, and did find it useful, I assumed I’d be getting a newly manufactured battery, and I’d get at least a couple of years of use out of the E+ before the battery needed replacing. So if new batteries weren’t available at that point, or only available at a prohibitively high cost, I could live with that and retire it, as I’d got the E+ for a good price and got some good use out of it for a couple of years.

(Does anyone know if Ninebot will be still making the E+ and new batteries for it?)

If the battery is suspect and is to blame though, and I'm not going to get those 2 years, that really completely changes that equation. It would be really handy to measure the battery's output, to put my mind at rest that it's not the battery to blame.

I maybe made a mistake in charging the battery fully before making any attempt to turn the E+ on, because I'll now never know what charge level it was at when I installed it. It did take around 5 hours to charge. Which I think suggests it was pretty low, not still near 50%.

Anyway, I'll check the tires in the morning (will now check them this evening). Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Segbyte; 01-04-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Segbyte is offline   Reply With Quote