View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
zeppo123
zeppo123

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Casey

They showed this on Fox news yesterday on the 6:00 local news. All it showed basically was it hovering while they talked about it. More like an infomercial than a news report.

The thing is interesting but has been in development longer than most people registered here have been alive. It is about the price of a Rolls Royce.

http://www.smmirror.com/Volume1/issue14/sky_car.html

Quote:
quote:The M400 Skycar - a result of 30 years and more than $100 million in research - is not like any vehicle you've ever seen. It comes complete with on-board computers, several backup jet engines and an emergency parachute for those annoying breakdowns at 20,000 feet. It features a Jetsonslike glass bubble on top and a large single wing that swooshes off the back like a gigantic spoiler.
The current price tag is prohibitive - around $1 million for the prototype. But given time and mass production, Moller said, the Skycar eventually could retail for less than $60,000.
They didn't show much. They said you could go from San Francisco to Sacramento in 15 minutes. They flew it via remote. I read an article about 10 years on the sky car. They said it used 6 snow mobile engines and the biggest draw back is that people wouldn't trust computers to fly them. I remember the inventors vision was to drive the car to a local launch site and fly in designated lanes using GPS. I think he said you could fly them 5 feet apart at around 260 mph.