View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #26
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
My understanding of redundancy is different than yours. I will defer to your definition within your post and say that I believe there is a possibility that the level of redundancy is stronger than you have defined.
Redundancy is not the only form of fault tolerance. It sounds like you're talking about a spectrum of things -- only a few of which would be considered redundancy.

Drive mirroring is redundancy. Retrying failed reads is not redundancy. Extra bits in each sector to enable ECC correction of up to (say) 16 consecutive bits of error, IS redundancy, but at a completely different level. I could go either way on remapping bad sectors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote