View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Actually, in every case I can think of, you'd know by getting a safety shutdown.

Battery, motor winding, controller board, rate gyro, tilt sensor...
Exactly! It is my understanding that if any redundancy feature kicks in, it is because one component has failed. A Segway PT could not continue to run beyond this point because doing this means there is no longer any redundancy - therefore it brings the rider to a safe stop and turns off. So I still believe I have never had a failure of this sort. That's not to say I don't value the redundancy. I do indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
As to your point about price, you are correct. Many will make the same assumptions as you, and buy the cheaper. And if that happens, I hope they work, or we will all suffer the consequences...
I stated my assumption clearly - my assumption was that the China copy does not have redundancy. I don't know that for a fact. I never stated or assumed that the cheaper version would outsell the i2 - I only asked the question. I think it could in my hypothetical situation - if the China copy was proven to be reliable. But as to which I would buy - I always like to buy the best whenever I can. I would buy the i2.

You also wrote a lot of other stuff... and I tend to agree with the rest.