View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Cool Threads:

Thought I'd add how I link images inline in a thread. I'm assuming the pictures themselves are already in your photo gallery, as per instructions above.

If you upload (a high res) mysegway.jpg, the photo gallery software will automatically create two smaller pictures. One very small 'thumbnail', called thumb_mysegway.jpg, and a 'normal' sized one that I like to show 'inline' in the thread called normal_mysegway.jpg.

I like to have two web browser windows open so I can switch between the thread itself, and the photo gallery easily. I get the url to the 'normal' sized picture by right clicking, and going to properties. I 'triple' click the address url section and the whole url gets highlighted. Then right click, COPY. Then back to the reply to thread editor in the first window. Click and right click PASTE into that box.

That gets you this: (ignoring the starting path "http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12345")

[IMG]normal_mysegway.jpg[/IMG]

Which will simply display the image inline. I like to make the 'normal' sized image itself an easy way to view the 'big' fullsize original if someone wants to, but not linking the original inline saves thread load time for slower connections.

The original fullsize picture URL is simply the one above without the 'normal_' prefix. To create a link, select the whole line above, from [IMG] right through to [/IMG]. Then click and right click, PASTE again, but DELETE the "normal_" prefix in order to refer to the original fullsize picture. This will get you this:

[URL="mysegway.jpg"][IMG]normal_mysegway.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This will give you a clickable picture linking to the original. However I like it to be a little more obvious that the picture is clickable, so I add text:

[URL="mysegway.jpg"][I]Click for fullsize:[/I]
[IMG]normal_mysegway.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In order for the text to be above the picture, and not to one side, the [IMG] tag has to start on a new line.

If you've uploaded multiple pictures with similar names and want to post them all in the thread, (as I did for my LED thread), Just select the entire two lines above, copy / paste it a few times, and change "mysegway.jpg" and "normal_mysegway.jpg" to "mysegway2.jpg" and "normal_mysegway2.jpg" for example.

Then click preview post (if you haven't been already along the way) and make sure everything works.

Because the paths are a bit long, (and the 'editor' has narrower lines) it looks more cluttered when done. This would be how my white i2 looks in the editor with lines wrapped:

[URL="http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14836
/Ryans_Segway_white_fenders.jpg"][I]Click for fullsize:[/I]
[IMG]http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14836
/normal_Ryans_Segway_white_fenders.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hope this all makes sense. Bit harder to write than read as I had to actually display a lot of [url][img] tags instead of having them automatically acted on.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote