Thread: $125 an hour
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
...Desert_Seg, I'm curious about your opinion on the prospects of SegPolo on artificial turf. Or the possibility of timesharing with or renting time from an arena soccer organization.
I like the concept of SegPolo on artificial turf only in the context of a smoother field but this hasn't really been a problem for us (we do, after all, get to play on a real Polo field).

One of the things I like about SegPolo on real turf is the unknown variable of the ball direction as it bounces across the field. On an artificial surface the ball is going to go straight and true, eliminating this one factor. (I just realized this is only true with the type of ball we use (kids polo ball, sort of like a mini-soccer ball) as the "nerf" style ball won't have this problem.

The other major concern I would have are the boards....which are a key part of all arena games. Imagine not stopping soon enough and slamming into the boards, a la ice hockey!

From the arena owner's perspective, the concern would be the boards, the impact of the Segways / mallets on the turf (something that would have to be tested) and, more importantly, liability.

Now, all the above being said, I'd love to play at least one game on the turf. We wouldn't be able to use the ball we use out here as the turf wouldn't compress enough for us to glide over it as we do on grass.

All in all this could be fun, but very painful if you hit the boards or fall.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote