View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #63
Bigpond
Bigpond is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchlesspat View Post
When I opened up my defective battery, would not float charge to above 63 volts, and red light when installed I found several dead blocks of four cells in one half of the battery, o.2 volts, the other half seemed ok, all blocks at 3.2 volts, although I think there could be a odd dead cell in a block of 4 cells and it still reads 3.2 volts, at that point I gave up, packed it up and sent it to someone who can to capacity test the "good" cells and advise where we go from here, I know my limits....... I was very surprised that it had 63 volts with at least 16 dead cells!
I had a similar problem, battery was measuring just over 70V but red lighting when installed. I opened it up and found one block of cells was measuring 0.2V the rest all 3.2V. It ony takes one bad cell in a block to drag the other three down, so you'll never easily pinpoint an individual cell.

Best option is to find someone else with a dead battery and hope their dead cells are in the opposite half of the pack to yours, then you can rebuild a working battery from the two good halves.

I have a couple of dismantled packs if you're interested, but they've been sitting around for nearly two years.
Bigpond is offline   Reply With Quote