View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I also noticed the local pickup requirement, as well as the "no refunds or exchanges." I have stated in the past that I have increasing mistrust towards eBay (based on poor experiences), but somehow that seems to upset people who like it, so if eBay works for you, feel free to use it.
It doesn't upset me. Clearly, we should all be very cautious about buying something - anywhere, etc. That includes buying something in person in a store. With regard to eBay, look at all of the information - not just the picture, etc.

With "no refunds or exchanges", that would generally be a caution. Look carefully at the description, condition statement, etc. The eBay/Paypal "Get the item you ordered or get your money back" guarantee depends greatly on that strict description. The item is listed as "Used". In an abundance of caution, I would send a message to the seller asking "does it work".

Local pickup is a mixed bag, but I wouldn't bid on this if I could not pick it up. Trying to arrange shipping is really risky for several reasons. Then, when I went to pick it up, I would take along at least one witness. Not because of fear - just to make sure somebody else could confirm the transaction, condition, etc. [Of course, caution is advised, and for "local pickup" I usually arrange with the seller for the two of us to meet in some public place]

It turns out that I've had good experiences with eBay, but YMMV. I've had good experiences with Craigslist, too - but Craigslist doesn't guarantee anything, and there are a **LOT** of scams (including Segway scams) on Craigslist.

It will be very interesting to follow the progress of this particular auction.