View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #30
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
<<<
Eventually after several years of ownership of a Segway I saw two young kids riding around on electric scooters without helmets. The thought of one of those kids someday getting hurt because of the absence of a helmet and the fear (real or imagined) that I might
bear some responsibility simply because they had seen me riding without a helmet compelled me to get use to the idea of wearing a helmet all the time while bicycling or gliding.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

I believe this is an honorable sentiment.

I don't happen to agree with it, because these are not your kids, and also because kids and adults are different beings. I presume that Bob does not sit in car seats, to set an example. I presume that Bob is willing to drive a car, even though kids in the neighborhood who see him may want to drive one as well.

So, even though I do not agree, I still think it is a valid reason for Bob to want to wear a helmet. I also think it may be a good reason for him to want others to wear one too, if he feels he has a responsibility to demonstrate a good example.

Simply enough, I am glad that the kids that Bob is trying to influence are not able to see me.

And for the record, I too have done things in the neighborhood, trying to be a good example for the neighborhood kids (and my own) who might see me. But not all those things are to do activities as I believe kids should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.