View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #48
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
1. I am glad you are okay.
2. Passing out is a bit scary. Did you have a brain scan, or did anyone check for concussion?
Thanks. There was no brain scan, the doctors just looked me over. Everything was fine. I probably just lost a few brain cells.
Quote:
3. Were you wearing a bike helmet?
I wasn't wearing any helmet. Had I been, I don't know if, on this occasion, it would have helped much.
Quote:
4. We all know this device is very different than a segway. Can you postulate on the likelihood of the outcome if you had taken this same adventure via segway?
Well, if I was on my Segway I certainly wouldn't have tumbled the way I did. I'm much more experienced on my Segway and haven't fallen off it, ever. I've had to step off a few times but never fallen. Had I been inexperienced and on my Segway, I still don't think it would have happened. Whilst getting on and off a Segway can be tricky for beginners, I always found it just takes a mere few minutes to master the mount and dismount. Other things tend to cause problems on the Segway - hazard perception and avoidance - but those things also apply to the Airwheel. I think the only advantage the Airwheel might have with regards to hazard avoidance is that it is much narrower.
Quote:
5. I know there are safety gear that is available for roller blades as an example, in addition to helmets, there are elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards that have a firm plastic shank that protects wrists and fingers from injuries like yours.

Might you suggest some of these as either training aids, or standard ride gear?
I think I would recommend some precautions when learning to ride. Some safety equipment would be sensible -as recommended way further up this thread. There has been one or two discussions about using helmets on this forum so I won't mention that here!

So, what have I learned? Well, when setting off, I need to ensure I take my time. I need to ensure the area is not crowded or has anything in it that will panic or stress me out should I veer slightly to the left or right (e.g. parked cars or buildings). I need to ensure my 'mounting foot' is firmly and correctly in place before setting off. I need to focus and not let the presence of other people make me do anything I wouldn't ordinarily do. If I step off and need to remount, I must take it slow the second time. Do not rush. Do not feel pressured by others or become frustrated with myself.

If I can do all that, I'm sure I will be more successful, just like I was a few days earlier on my 8-9KM ride.

Last edited by gbrandwood; 08-17-2014 at 09:46 AM..