View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I have "converted" both ways.

Personally, if you don't mind the fairly occasional safety slowdown from bumpy terrain on an i-X conversion, it's actually not bad.

Going from X-i is a little more troublesome, as, the X series is programmed to slow down rather significantly on almost any decline, and although it's done for a reason, it's also very unsafe on a X-i conversion, as you'll have limited speed in some possibly unsafe situations.

I would almost always go for an i2 to X2 conversion.

Good luck, New Mexico is very beautiful and has wonderful trails!

-Tritium
That is some very valuable insight. Thank you taking time to explain it! I actually sprang for a set of x2 wheels that Segway of Ohio (GREAT retailer) had on "cyber special." So, I'll have a beach-worthy machine that is ready to roll over just about anything. I'll probably get a set of cheapo 14-inch knobbies to put on the stock rims. That way, between my two machines, I'll have all bases covered.

I knew there was some programming differences between the i2 and x2, but I didn't realize that it's sort of a "one-way" street. A friend of mine has an x2, and I think he once mentioned putting i2 wheels on it. I'll pass along this info. What triggers the safety slow-down when running x2 wheels on an i2 machine? Just bumpy surfaces? Will an i2 with x2 wheels have more "oomph" when going up inclines? If I understand what you're saying correctly, the x2 is programmed to slow down on inclines. I assume that is to accommodate for the bigger wheels. I thought that the i2 with x2 wheels would be the one to slow down on inclines as the system was sensing too much current draw at the motors. I assumed that an x2 is programmed to expect to see more current draw as a normal situation. Sounds like I had it backwards!
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote