View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
I didn't mean to start an argument. But assume a big truck passes you and the side-view mirror hits you in the back of the head.....

As you said, details would be useful. Having the correct combination of triggering factors for this device could be as complex as the control equations for the Segway.

Regarding "angle" - an interesting point. But I would hate to have the thing "go off" if I bent over to tie my shoes, or ....

And bike riders sometimes assume a quite-horizontal position.

Three footnotes:

1. If it deploys, it's done. Not reusable.

2. To the question of using it on a moped, skis, inline skates, skateboard, etc. - their answer is "No,...only designed for cycling". So, apparently not for Segways.

3. Apparently costs a bit more than $500.00
I believe we are more in agreement now than disagreement. The mirror example allowed me to more clearly see what you are speaking of than the branch, and from that perspective, I fully agree.

As to the deployment, I do think the idea a novel one, but find it unlikely that this helmet idea will be met with as much success as the air bags in cars concept because of the variances in position that do not exist inside the car.

As far as its applicability to other uses, like mopeds, skis, inline skates and the like, and their statement that their answer is "No..." could indicate that they have not tested it for those environments, and the sheer numbers of segways relative to other applications might mean that they will not ever get to that level of testing. However, if one were to analyze the head movement likely in biking and segways, it may seem that it is a poor fit. They did describe how it is weighted in the back, so that when riding, the weight will keep it centered and more on the back than the shoulders. This presumes a forward leaning position that is pretty common on bicycles. Some bikes with taller handlebars have people lean forward less, and racers have a tendency to have people lean forward more, but the general position is fairly forward leaning. I do not think that position is as prevalent on segways, I know not so for myself. For myself, I am pretty upright. I do lean a few degrees forward on full glide, but not much at all, and far less than on my bikes. (I have seen side view video and photos of me on either item.)

So, in all, I say nice idea. Interesting. I am curious, but am not ready to endorse. And, I would like to know more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.