View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I've been gliding for nearly four years with only two problems--one now resolved. I have the (very expensive) handicapped placard. The first problem was with Westfield Malls. That issue was resolved with the court decision in Arizona. Technically I'm supposed to sign waivers, wear protective stuff, ad nausium, all of which I ignore. The other problem is IKEA. Having checked the store out on foot, I decided I didn't want to shop there anyway...cheap trashy merchandize.

Basically, when I'm on a sidewalk I follow pedestrian rule plus yield right of way to pedestrians. In bike lanes I follow bicycle rules. When gliding on a street I follow automobile rules. Once I was told by a rent-a-cop that my Segway was not allowed. I asked him if wheelchairs were allowed. When he said "Of course" I told him the Segway was my wheelchair. He thought for a minute then told me to be careful. I thanked him and suggested he could use on his rounds. We had a nice discussion and I told him about Segs4Vets.

I've learned not to ask permission--it's too easy to say "No". I do not ask permission because I'm a hard-headed Dane.

I ask cruise lines what their policy is since I'd rather avoid being left on a dock. Norwegian Cruise Lines will not allow Segways but they have a miserable record of accomodating the disabled, lost a major ADA case before the U.S. Supreme Court and continually finds new ways of discriminating. I do recommend Royal Caribbeean. Royal Caribbean is very friendly, glad to see you, and very helpful.

Locally, when I first got my Segway I took it to a City Council meeting and made a short statement about how useful it was. The next morning I visited police headquarters and gave everyone a ride. Later that week I took the Segway to a County Commissioner's meeting and did my lounge act. It's been four years and my Segway is now a familiar piece of junk in the local landscape. I did run into one attractive young woman who verbally assaulted me for my inherently dangerouse weapon of mass discussion. She was probably from Seattle or some other city of equally ill repute. (I consider any city of over 10,000 a city of ill repute...)