View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #27
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Old thread I know, but maybe someone here can answer my question

Just picked up another I2 and the InfoKey has a non functioning button. The Information Display button (top right) feels like it's depressed all the time - It doesn't pop back out when you push it like the other three do. The key works and I can ride the Seg, but I can't tell how many miles are on it or access any of the other info that key provides

Is this 'user repairable'? Simple fix?

Thanks!

Don
I can't say it's user-repairable in all cases, but it was in mine. I had a similar problem, with the same button in fact. Here is what I did ...

I used a little acetone to remove the acrylic glue in the screwheads on the back of the Infokey. Not all will have it, but mine did... very carefully used the acetone to melt it and scrape it out. Then I was able to use my mini Torx bits to open the Infokey.

As it turns out, there's a small piece of metal between the main board of the Infokey and the button, which acts a spring. It was too far compressed. I used a very small pick from my random-working-on-electronics toolkit and bent that "spring" back out so the button was able to make contact with it again.

Closed it up and everything has been great since.

Fairly simple fix - the hardest part was getting the screws out. I didn't want to drip the acetone in a spot where it would take the silk screening off the plastic housing, or learn the hard way that the Infokey's plastic isn't acetone-resistant. I used a Q-Tip dipped in it to apply to the screwhead filler.

Good luck!! I'd do it in your shoes, especially if it's the backup Infokey.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote