View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #120
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Battery Rotation . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
One thing to consider with marginal or questionable batteries, but it actually is a segway constant, is that the lesser of the two batteries, if one is actually stronger than the other, is what the segway displays and acts upon.

A question that is most likely best answered by MTO, is something that I have considered in the past, and if memory serves, has been touched upon in the past...

Since the rear battery seems to drive the radio board, does it make sense to rotate the batteries for even or more even use? I suspect that on a week to week, or month to month basis, it may matter less, but since several of us now have 7 year old batteries, even a tiny extra load may be worth swapping them front to rear.
A number of the threads here suggest battery rotation on a regular basis because the rear is always "ON" feeding the radio board and other circuits; while the other battery is only used when the Segway is activated. I've followed that protocol and it is probably one of the reasons my X2 still gets 10-16 miles on a full charge in warm weather on a straightaway. Cold weather, even though I've replaced my radio board, still presents problems but I've learned to deal with them with a under battery heater, electric blanket on the top and always turning on the Segway in balance mode then attaching to power to allow the batteries to "equalize" before I start my cold weather glides.

Before I replaced the radio board because of the "cold start" problem, I often had to remove the batteries to "reboot" the system when it didn't respond to the InfoKey. Over the years this always presented an opportune time to exchange Front to Rear, Rear to Front. With the new radio board I haven't had this problem though it is getting warmer, but when I recently put on new shoes, I took the opportunity to switch the batteries around as well.

Is battery rotation beneficial, I can't definitively say; but an ounce of prevention is always easier than a pound of cure and my batteries have worked for many, many years under this protocol.

Last edited by Seginaway; 04-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: I2 / X2 clarafication
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote