View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

<
My disclaimer as such is that the TIPS are aimed at "new owners" and" beginner Segway users". I do not expect everyone to like the TIPS so much.

< I also took the trainer course offered by the factory. On the points where you differ from the factory's position as to
< what should or should not be done, do you feel your personal information is better than theirs?

Could you be more specific as to which points you feel I"m at odds with?

< On tip #6, where you tell others that
< they can control a segway from the ground,

I'd like to hear from others their interpretation of TIP #6
Additionally, the point is two-fold. We've all heard the comments and seen the expressions of pedestrians who fear having a Segway run into/over them. The flip side is making the Segway user aware that as more pedestrians learn and understand how a Segway works, there is potential risk anytime you are within grasping rreach of a (fill in the blank) pedestrian.

<< I have a question. I know that if I grab
the handlebar of a bike as it slowly rides past, I can very much affect that bike, and the day the biker is having.

That's one of the major points regarding control of the Segway while within the reach of a pedestrian. Like yourself, there will be some who disagree with my interpretation.

<< If you were to teach someone how to
ride a bike, would you also tell people
they can manipulate the bike from the
ground, as much as the bike rider can? That seems a bit dangerous to me, bike < or segway.

Not everyone will understand and some might even misinterpret the points in the video. That is a very simple little explanation of why there are thousands of "accidents" going on in life every day.

<< Your view on helmets is laudable, but I do not agree. You came on pretty strong there.

GOOD, and I hope it does some good for others.

<< You also state that the helmet is the
most important safety item, and again, I do not agree. Wrist, knee, elbow
protectors may be more important in
many falls. Knowing what you are doing trumps them all as a safety tip.

"Knowing what you are doing" is a paramount point and one I myself practised in my years as a tractor trailer driver. I learned also of the variables involved in life which affect the "Knowing what you are doing" Sounds like you're saying common sense trumps them all, and I agree. Oh but those little variables of life.

<< Each and every demo and training I
have done includes a short ground
school before anyone gets on the
machine. I find that to be very important to their safety.
I too have a short "ground school" where, as demonstrated in my video, I have them "push back and away " the Segway repeatedly. I feel the understanding (even if only in some small way), helps ease the anxiousness of the user and understand the potential danger that a pedestrian presents to their safety.

<< All in all, I appreciate your efforts and
clip. I would add a disclaimer that it
make more sense to get training from a qualified trainer and not depend on your clip alone. Even the manual that the
segway comes with has important tips that are not in your clip, so if the clip is offered for safety, I would also include < that.

That is why it is titled "helpful Segway tips" but, maybe I should have included:
"(some or a few) helpful Segway tips" but some will simply choose not to understand.

AGAIN I WILL SAY:
Not everyone will understand and some might even misinterpret the points in the video. That is a very simple little explanation of why there are tousands of "accidents" going on in life every day.

Thanks Karl.

Based on MY experiences, the video is what it is. I don't believe the "factory" will think my video is at odds with their suggestions or recommendations.
We shall see.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote