View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Placard

I 'resused' an expired temporary placard (red in CA), cut it to a smaller 3"x3" size and attach it with a carabiner to my front pouch. I found a bumper sticker with a handicapped logo and cut out the logo and it fit over the charging port cover. So, I have coming and going covered. I carry a note from my doctor if a 'security person' wishes to push the point.

People are usually intrigued by a standing, yet disabled person (I have MS, walking is the hard part for me), it allows me to educate people about the disease and the life-altering benefit of my i2.

I have traveled up the left coast on Amtrak and many other places, even by air.

I have only found 2 places to not care about giving access: Getty Museum in L.A. and S.F. Steinhart Aquarium. I never went, but I called and asked about accommodation, they both said 'no to segway'; Getty was because the art was too precious, Steinhart because I could flip over a railing into an exhibit. They had done no formal ADA analysis (actually bringing in a Segway and maneuvering it as required by law), it was just their 'feeling' that Segway was not 'safe' in their establishment.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote