View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
msfireboy
msfireboy

5 yr Member
Default Wheelchair enquiry

I too am interested in using a segway as a wheelchair. I have MS and have been using a Segway for mobility since 2005 or so. It's great for this purpose but it's getting harder to get my leg up high enough to get on so the wheelchair option is fast approaching.

Having used one for so long and also manual wheelchairs sometimes, the suitability of using a Segway in this fashion is so obvious...It is lighter (than a powerchair) therefore transportation is far less of an issue, It stays basically vertical no matter what slope you are negotiating, so tipping is a non issue, and it's maneuverability, small footprint and non existent turning circle all combine to make it more pedestrian friendly. It's also quick when appropriate and has a healthy range. There is no comparison really.

I have had an engineer look at the challenges of converting my old Gen 1 into a wheelchair and all the challenges are surmountable....but it's probably easier to leverage off someone who has already done all that work, so....

When will the laynebuilt wheelchair be ready, how much will it be, will you ship to australia and will it be avialable in a kit form to place on an existing Gen 2?

These and many other questions arise in an enquiring mind - any enlightenment?
msfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote