View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
AggiePhil
AggiePhil is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

So far, I have spoken with the University Police Department and an official at the University Business Office. Both were very encouraging and said that they couldn't think of any problems that the university would have with someone offering Segway tours of the campus. The man at the business office is going to speak with another office that handles contracts just to double check but said that he didn't see anything wrong with it at this time and thanked me for seeking the university's approval before going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
I wouldn't even consider doing a Segway Tour at any university without both their blessing/endorsement (which you will need to have any real long-term chance of business success) and a partnership set up with the university to have direct access to 'every' prospective/active student and their families. I would make sure that every person 'checking out' the campus sees it on my segway Tour. I would happily hand over a piece of my business income for that customer access.
I agree about needing to get the university's blessing, and I am working on that, but it's somewhat difficult with a university of this size simply because there are numerous offices that could potentially have a say in the matter. And getting the blessing from one office might not necessarily communicate to other offices that you have received said blessing. Like I said, I'm working on that though.

I really like the idea of setting up a partnership/contract in order to increase the customer base. However, I'm not sure that would be something I could get into right at the start. Again, with a university of this size, I get the impression that they are extremely picky about who they partner with and what company names they will put on anything that also bears the A&M logo. I would just assume that they would only agree to partner with a company that was established, had a history of success, and was not a brand new upstart company. Again, only an assumption (that I am in the process of confirming or disconfirming), but from the whispers I've heard around town, this is most likely the case with A&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
Otherwise, I understand your personal attachment to the school, but just a Segway tour of a university (even Harvard) would not be a great location as a 'tourist attraction'.
If I may, why do you think that the university campus alone would not support a Segway tour business? Like I said, A&M is the 7th largest school in the nation, covers 5,200+ acres, and brings in TONS of visitors, sports fans, students, and prospective students on a continual basis.

Thanks again folks for all your advice and input!
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote