View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on the forums in a loooooong time.

I have an X2 with a Segsaddle so I am sitting all the time. Being seated is a little bit harder to control than standing but not much.

I converted it to an I2 to get through 3 ft doors more easily. I have used mine with the I2 stock tires on the beach numerous times. Wet sand is wonderful. The slight slope of beach isn't a problem at all and I love speeding down the beach. It's the closest I have to flying since I've lost my ability to walk (waddle) more than a few hundred feet.

The sand stays wet enough between tides that it remains hard enough to not cause issues with the tires breaking through the hard wet surface layer except near the the high tide line. Even there it's not really an issue. You just have to go a slow and be aware in case you break through the top harder layer, spin a wheel and go down.

Soft sand is a little harder but definitely doable. Most beach accesses that I have used have a type of grid over/in the sand to get most of the way. The true soft sand is slow going. The deep footprints left by pedestrians make balancing a little difficult and I have to go forward in short spurts, but I have done it many dozen times. I had a shutdown one time that unexpectedly pitched me straight backwards onto my butt, but since the sand was soft it wasn't an issue except for my dignity.

I think an X2 would work very well and is probably overkill unless you are really concerned about falling in soft sand.

For reference I'm 6'5" and weigh around 250 lbs. so along with the Segsaddle the total weight is a lot more than most people would have to deal with. I've been bought my Segway used in 2010 and got my Segsaddle new at the same time.

I've mostly gone to Hunting Island, SC, but have also used it a few places in Florida, and Myrtle Beach, SC My biggest complaint is I can't bend over far enough to find small shells and sharks teeth. :-)

Hope this helps.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote