View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
PaulDV
PaulDV is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I know I will be attacked again, but I would wait to see if this gets legalized. There are all kinds of issues on this cycle that parallel segway's difficulty in getting the endorsement from the British government.

I just do not see the path to legalization as being so quick. IF it is, it would only be a testament to the corruption of the UK government, not to anything else.

I do not know all the details of the difficulties in UK endorsement (legalization) of the segway. But I have heard of some of the other European reservations to legalization. Most were because they were trying to judge segways by older technologies that did not apply. If the UK is in the same boat, then the Ryno will not fit either. IF they update the judgement criterion, then the segway will fit as well.

We shall see. IF it comes to pass quickly, I will admit my doubts were unfounded.
Before there's any question over whether or not it will be legalised, there's the small matter of whether or not the RYNO will actually be built.

If the RYNO is built, then it would (as far as I understand it) most likely fall under the classification of a motorcycle. It has headlights, taillights, brake lights and (I think) turn indicators and separate acceleration and braking controls, so it only needs licensing, insurance and a driver's licence.

The only thing I can see that would stand in the way of it gaining Type Approval would be the braking system: the Department for Transport has listed the absence of a separate braking system as being one of the reasons it deems Segways to be 'unsafe'. I don't know the technicalities, but I think it reasonable to assume that the braking system of the RYNO is very similar, if not identical, to the Segway. If so, then there's clearly a hurdle to be gotten over there.

The DfT could, of course, simply rule that any single-wheeled vehicle is inherently dangerous and apply a blanket ban...

If you want to read up on what has been said in Parliament and take a look at the DfT's stance on 'self-balancing scooters' as they call them, I'd recommend heading over the www.legalisesegways.co.uk/links2.html#legal as there's a plethora of info there to keep one amused for hours!

Last edited by PaulDV; 09-11-2012 at 09:33 AM..
PaulDV is offline   Reply With Quote