View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Lock stuck

I just bought a used Segway to replace the one I've used as a mobility device for the last 7 years.

The previous owner died and I bought it from his father who didn't have much information on it. I had sat for a few years plugged in before I bought it. It has 156 miles and seems to run well.

It has a Segway lock attached to the lean steer column release and I can't get the lock to come off. I suspect that since the lock was attached to the column instead of stored in the handlebar bag that the previous owner had the problem also.

The key inserts and easily turns 90 degrees, however the key only can be removed when it is parallel with the cable coming out of the lock. When the key is turned 90 degrees so it is perpendicular to the cable it won't come out of the lock.

The lock won't come loose either way. The amount of play between the lock and the column seems to be the same in both key positions.

I've never seen one of these locks in person so I don't understand what is happening internally . The online manual isn't much help and searching the forums only told me that there are ball bearings that grasp the special pin for the brass column blocks.

I've got the tools to cut it off if necessary but I'd rather get it unlocked.

Any suggestions? At least a detailed explanation of how the lock works so I can try a few things. Specifically which position of the key should be unlocked.

Thanks,

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote