View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #25
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well, I am not the only bloviator here.

1. I never dismissed the technical aspects of the crouching position. I said several times it may be electrical appropriate, but not appropriate to tell older mobility impaired people, as crouching in a ditch is more likely to cause discomfort than the far rarer occurrence of being struck by lightening.

2. The OP did not set the scenario where she was alone on a plain, with no shelter or other opportunities. She set the scenario where she was gliding home from church. Unless her church is a wide open field, and and she only also has wide open fields between that and her home,... NO, she actually said she was a few blocks from home, that indicates she is in some community with blocks, roads and cross roads. She also indicated with questions that she was gliding between buildings and trees and other tall structures.

So, the presumption that she was in a wide open plain was not supported by her own words. What she said was that she did not have shelter nearby. This is subjective. Perhaps she could have knocked on the door of a nearby house, but not knowing the people who lived there, did not consider it appropriate shelter. I do not know, but neither does the only other poster here.

The Last posting, where it says it is becoming apparent that the official position is that you should not try to stay in the open but run for a safe location surely seems more like my advice than the other poster's. He has maligned me as best as he can, and after thousands of words as why I am ignorant and foolish, and most likely not aware of how electricity works, he has come full circle to say that that the 'official position' is more similar to my advice to go home, or go to safety, than his advice to squat in a ditch in the rain.

One final note.

I was mowing my rear lawn yesterday, and saw the dark clouds gathering, and heard the clap of thunder. I did consider diving off my lawn tractor, and squatting while the rains came, but I resisted. I mowed a bit longer, and when the drops first started coming down, I finished that row, and then drove the tractor to the shed. By the time I backed it in, the downpour was fully engaged.

I ran to my camper that happened to have the awning out... I ran to the next shelter from the rain, and eventually got back to my back porch, where I found the dog, waiting to come in, under a roof over hang.

The two of us (dog and I) went into the house, and waited for the rain to pass.

On some level I wonder if my life would have been different if I just squatted there in my back yard and waited it out. I suspect not much different. But, had my wife been home, she may have been tempted to call those guys with the white coats and the giant butterfly net...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote