View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I don't know as much about the difference between the hybrids, the Leaf, and the Volt, but find it interesting and a step in the right direction. I think Civicsman's explanation is very clearly defined. But I often wonder about the small gasoline engines that are used to recharge the batteries and for extra horsepower when needed. How they are solving our dependence on oil? Sure you're using less, but aren't small gasoline engines less efficient at burning all the hydrocarbons and potentially creating more smog? The gasoline engines need to be GONE...period. IMO

So, with an acceptance of total electric cars, wanting to be the norm, what does anyone think about the future of recharge stations and what would they need to attract commuters, to WANT, to stay for a couple of hours to recharge? What would they do for a couple hours? A salon, a movie complex, a restaurant, a pub, what? How could say a mall, or parking lot, or complex refurbish itself to to enable electric car owners to recharge there, on a mass scale?

On another note, I've often wondered why, and if, an electric car can't run on two sets of batteries. Both initially fully charged, then when the first set starts to get low, each wheel could have built in generators that while the vehicle is in motion, they could recharge the depleted batteries? Thereby, always having a full set to get where you want. Then they would only need to perhaps top off the batteries at night. What kind of flaws are with a system like this?