View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I've been using an I2 with a Segsaddle since 2010. I carry a copy of the ADA and a couple complaint forms in a clear envelope in my handlebar bag.

I've never had a problem in Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Grocery stores, fast food restaurants, our local zoo etc. I was challenged from behind in a McDonalds but when I turned around she saw my handicap sticker on my handlebar bag she apologized profusely.

I was barred from Mackinac Island in Michigan and the Columbia SC zoo. ADA complaints are in the works.

I asked before hand and was I was told I couldn't use it on the beach at Hunting Island, SC state park and a festival in Evart, MI. In both cases I told them I would file an ADA complaint and they gave me permission. The festival asked me to put a handicap sticker on it. I probably didn't have to do it but figured it would help me in other situations. They had barred bicycles and other vehicles and didn't want to deal with the fallout from allowing my Segway.

Call ahead if you might be inconvenienced if they tell you no. Be respectful but tell them Segways are permitted under ADA as a mobility device. You can file a complaint if they tell you "no" over the phone. Ask for their name, job title, phone#, etc. If you have to talk to several people before getting permission get the name and phone # of that person in case you're challenged once you are there.

You won't have many problems except for being stopped by everyone wanting to know about your "ride".

There is a " Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use" Forum here on Segway chat. A lot answered can be found there.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote