Thread: It's Been Fun
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default It's Been Fun

Is this goodbye? I haven't been here since my Segway batteries died, followed by selling it some time ago. But I was still disheartened to read that the model will discontinue.

On July 1, 2008 I bought a used Segway i2 on eBay for $4,760. A tour company was selling their fleet.

As some who haven't owned a Segway, what I consider the REAL one, not that Ninebot stuff, are online expressing why it "failed," I want to articulate why to me it was a winner.

The ride, the glide. Flowing along the Hudson River bike trail on weekend mornings. Meeting people excited by it and letting them take it on a run. Going from beginner to pro thanks to a Segway riding neighbor who gave me lessons.

I always felt safe and secure on it. It was the ride I could get before ride shares, when taxis refused to stop for me.

Finally but also importantly, this community. Locally in NYC, Itsi Atkins who gave me a Segway hat to welcome me to the club. The other was "EMRNYC" who helped me fix and rig the Segway.

I have always felt welcome here, and will never forget our group ride in Manhattan. I've lost touch with everyone but I wouldn't trade the kind folks of the Segway community.

https://imgur.com/a/zhfk2dW

lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote